28 CE for psychologists
28 CE for social workers, counselors, therapists and marriage counselors
PLEASE NOTE: This is a 4-day conference worth 28 CE. No partial CE credit will be granted. Participants must attend ALL four days in their entirety to receive CE credit. The Ohio Psychological Association is an approved CE sponsor of the American Psychological Association and adheres to their attendance policies and guidelines as outlined at the bottom of this page. Attendees can cancel in writing before October 5, 2017 and will be subject to a $30 service charge. No refunds will be given after October 5, 2017.
Doors open at 8 AM... Workshop begins at 8: 30 AM each day of the conference
Continental breakfast, lunch and snacks are included.
Registration deadline is October 27, 2017.
OPA Member Fee:
- $825 - Register on or before September 4, 2017... Save $100 with this Early Bird Discount
- $925 - Register after September 4, 2017
- $955 - Register on-site (Space is limited. We can not guarantee that on-site registration will be available. Please call OPA at 614-224-0034 first.)
Non-OPA Member Fee:
- $875 - Register on or before September 4, 2017... Save $100 with this Early Bird Discount
- $975 -Register after September 4, 2017
- $1,005 - Register on-site (Space is limited. We can not guarantee that on-site registration will be available. Please call OPA at 614-224-0034 first.)
What is EFT? Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy is a model that helps couples move from disconnection and frustration to a secure, trusting and loving bond. Many couples resonate with the idea that regardless of topic, the pattern of their fights are fairly (and frustratingly) repetitive. At the same time, they find it very difficult to interrupt these fights and have a more satisfying relationship.
EFT is an evidence-based approach that helps couples identify their negative cycle, discover the emotions that drive it, and have new conversations – right in the therapy room – that will redefine the contours of their relationship. When EFT is effective couples will not need to present each issue to a therapist, they will redefine the way they approach issues in their relationship and many experience continuous improvement after the treatment has ended.
EFT is being used with many different kinds of couples across cultures throughout the world.
EFT Externship Schedule:
Day 1 Introduction
- Theoretical assumptions
- Attachment theory
- EFT Stages and Steps
- Skills Training and Video
Day 2 Stage One: From Reactivity to De-escalation
- Live Interview
- Steps 1 & 2: Assessment and Identifying the Cycle
- Steps 3 &4: Identifying underlying emotions and teaming up to defeat the negative cycle
Day 3 Stage Two: Creating the New Cycle
- Live Interview
- Steps 5, 6, & 7 delineate the bonding events in EFT
- Learning and practicing EFT interventions
- Expanding work with emotion
Day 4 – Stage Three: Consolidation and Special Issues
- Helping the couple tell their story of change
- Approaching new issues from a place of secure attachment Attachment injuries
- Becoming an EFT therapist
Participants will learn to:
- Listen for the attachment significance in a couple's struggle
- Interview for the negative cycle of interaction
- Find the underlying emotions that feed the negative cycle
- Create enactments to help clients establish, or reestablish, positive cycles of interaction and a secure bond
Professional Biography of Speaker:
Elana Katz, LCSW, LMFT, is a senior faculty member at the Ackerman Institute for the Family where she supervises in the advanced family therapy training program and directs the Family and Divorce Mediation Program.
A member of the American Family Therapy Academy for more than twenty years, she has presented nationally and internationally on family therapy, mediation, and collaborative divorce coaching, including annual meetings of the American Family Therapy Academy, the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, The Psychotherapy Networker and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. Ms. Katz was one of the first therapists in New York to become certified in Emotionally Focused Therapy. Now a certified EFT therapist, supervisor and trainer, she teaches and supervises in a number of innovative EFT courses at Ackerman and has taught EFT to therapists in Argentina, Chile, Israel and Spain.
Ms. Katz was previously on faculty at the Yale School of Medicine where she supervised psychiatry residents, co-directed a weekly seminar in family therapy, and consulted to research on family treatment for patients in the general hospital setting. She has published a number of articles and a book chapter on topics such as mediation and a family systems approach to health care, and has been quoted by the New York Times, the Associated Press, and other media outlets, including National Public Radio. Ms. Katz is active in professional organizations, currently serving on the Executive Board of the New York Center for Emotionally Focused Therapy. Her private practice is in New York City.
Key Literary References:
- Becoming an Emotionally Focused Couple Therapist: The Workbook(2005), S Johnson, Bradley, Furrow, Lee, Palmer, Tilley & Woolley
- The Emotionally Focused Casebook – New Directions in Treating Couples (2011), Edited by James Furrow, Susan M. Johnson, Brent Bradley
- Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy with Trauma Survivors: Strengthening Attachment Bonds (2002), Susan M. Johnson
- Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime Of Love (2008), Susan M. Johnson
Hotels within Walking Distance of Venue:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Columbus/Polaris 614-568-0770
- Hampton Inn & Suites Columbus/Polaris 614-885-8400
- Four Points by Sheraton Columbus/Polaris 614-844-5888
The Ohio Psychological Association is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists: OPA maintains responsibility for the program and its content.
Disclaimers/Cancellation and Refund Policy: Attendees needing to cancel must do so in writing before 7 business days prior to the event and will be subject to a $30 service charge. ALL CANCELLATIONS WILL BE SUBJECTED TO THIS SERVICE CHARGE. No refunds will be given for cancellations received after October 5, 2017. The planners and sponsors of this event are committed to providing accurate and up-to-date information. However, they are not responsible for changes, additions or deletions to the services, but will work toward accommodating the needs of the attendees.
Conflict of Interest Statement: As an APA-approved sponsor of continuing education, the Ohio Psychological Association (OPA) is committed to the identification and resolution of potential conflicts of interest in the planning, promotion, delivery, and evaluation of continuing education as is consistent with concepts outlined in the APA Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct. Information regarding financial support, in-kind support or possible conflicts of interest will be included in promotional materials and can be accessed by contacting the Ohio Psychological Association Central Office.
Photo Consent: Registration and attendance at OPA events constitutes an agreement by the registrant to OPA for use of the attendee’s image in photographs.
Continuing Education Credit Policies: Those individuals wanting CE credits must sign and complete the Workshop Evaluation Form and return the form to OPA at the end of each workshop as instructed. OPA guidelines state that a participant may arrive no more than 10 minutes late or leave more than 10 minutes early to receive credit for a program. No partial credit will be given. The workshop planners will make every effort to ensure that each workshop begins and ends promptly at its designated time.
Continuing Education Credits for Social Workers and Counselors: The Ohio Psychological Association is approved by the State of Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage & Family Therapist Board to offer continuing education to counselors and social workers. The approval number is RCS070608 and RTX071703.
Certificates of Attendance will be distributed at the end of the workshop to all pre-registered participants who meet the criteria specified above.