6 CE for psychologists, social workers, counselors and marriage & family therapists
Registration Information: (Continental breakfast, lunch and snacks are included.)
Registration deadline is July 22, 2019.
Save $20 by registering on or before July 8, 2019 with the Early Bird Discount!
OPA Member Fee: $150 | OPA Student Member Fee: $100 | Non-OPA Member Fee: $180
Mindfulness empowers individuals to be more “in charge” of symptoms they may be feeling by consciously directing awareness of what one is experiencing both mentally and emotionally. Using a mindfulness-based approach, clients can be instructed to identify and apply key concepts that address symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression. This workshop will help mental health professionals assist clients in assessing and identifying the root causes of stress using the tools of mindfulness and support a paradigm shift in their thought process and behaviors through the use of focus and distancing oneself. Exercises to be discussed include: breathing techniques, compassionate self-talk, simple eye exercises, self-forgiveness, and martial arts grounding exercises as well as multiple examples of client self-care suggestions.
This workshop is intended for professionals who are both new to mindfulness, as well as for those with previous training in mindfulness. The workshop booklet includes: 80 pages of workshop slides, a 48 page training manual for therapists and 32 pages of client handouts.
As a result of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify, describe, and apply key concepts related to mindfulness
- Describe the basic skills to instruct your clients in the use of key concepts related to mindfulness
- Assess and identify the root of stress using the tools of mindfulness
- Explain and demonstrate the benefits of applying the use of focus, distancing oneself, being the observer, and positive selftalk in treating various symptoms one wishes to let go of.
About the Speaker:
David J. Fiala has had a private practice in Aurora, Ohio, for the past 28 years. He focuses on individuals who suffer from depression, anxiety, stress, or post-traumatic stress. In the process he teaches clients mindfulness, compassion, self-forgiveness, and other skills to significantly heighten their awareness of thoughts, emotions, and how to move through areas that have long been stuck. He incorporates their spirituality into the healing process when appropriate.
Key Literary References:
- Dominique Makowski; Marco Sperduti; Samantha Lavallée; Serge Nicolas; et al., Dispositional mindfulness attenuates the emotional attentional blink. Consciousness and Cognition Vol. 67, January 2019, pp. 16-25. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053810018302721
- Hawkins, David R., Letting Go
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon, Full catastrophe living
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon, Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life
- Kiken, Lundberg, Fredrickson, Being present and enjoying it: Dispositional mindfulness and savoring the moment are distinct, interactive predictors of positive emotions and psychological health.Mindfulness (N.Y.), 2017 Oct;8(5):1280-1290. doi: 10.1007/s12671-017-0704-3. Epub 2017 Mar 29. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/315923255_Being_Present_and_Enjoying_It_Dispositional_Mindfulness_and_Savoring_the_Moment_Are_Distinct_Interactive_Predictors_of_Positive_Emotions_and_Psychological_Health
- Xiao Ma,1,2 Zi-Qi Yue,3 Zhu-Qing Gong,4,5 Hong Zhang,3 Nai-Yue Duan,3 Yu-Tong Shi,3 Gao-Xia Wei,5,6,* and You-Fa Li2,* The Effect of Diaphragmatic Breathing on Attention, Negative Affect and Stress in Healthy Adults, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5455070/
The purpose of this workshop is to educate attendees only and the Ohio Psychological Association does not endorse or approve, nor assume responsibility or intend for this workshop to procure more clients for David Fiala utilizing his referral process described on his website, nor to increase sales of his webinar.
The Ohio Psychological Association is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists: OPA maintains responsibility for the program and its content.
Click here to view OPA's registration / event policies and disclaimers.