OPA Celebrates #GivingTuesday on November 27, 2018
Saturday, October 27, 2018
Posted by: Karen Hardin
Pledges Benefit the Foundation for Psychology in Ohio
The Foundation for Psychology in Ohio (PsyOHIO), the charitable 501(c)3 arm of the Ohio Psychological Association, has joined #GivingTuesday, a global day of giving that harnesses the collective power of individuals, communities and organizations to encourage philanthropy and to celebrate generosity worldwide. Gifts, grants, contributions and bequests to the Foundation are tax deductible.
PsyOHIO ‘s two primary purposes are:
- Promoting and supporting educational programs that increase access to well-trained psychologists, create an awareness of what psychologists do, and decrease stigma about mental illness by:
- Disseminating information regarding psychology and behavioral health to the public and to mental health professionals;
- Developing and presenting educational or scientific exhibits and presentations on psychology for the benefit of the public; PSYOHIO: Foundation for Psychology in Ohio foundation
- Developing an archive of the history of psychology in Ohio and the national impact Ohio psychologists have had.
- Increasing the availability of internships for graduate students studying psychology.
- Developing philanthropic programs that encourage and reward psychologists, researchers and students who are committed to carrying on the work of psychology and broadening its scope and impact. Granting scholarships in psychology and supporting the Foundation’s commitment to diversity by:
- Developing and/or sponsoring panels, workshops, seminars, and other educational activities in psychology for the benefit of psychologists, other mental health professionals and the general public;
- Granting awards, stipends or other forms of recognition to teachers or researchers in psychology at secondary schools or institutions of higher education on the basis of innovative or meritorious achievement;
- Granting prizes, awards, stipends and other forms of recognition for research in issues relating to multiculturalism.
- Giving annually cash prizes to high school students for outstanding Behavioral Science projects at the State Science Fair.
Occurring this year on November 27, #GivingTuesday is held annually on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday to kick off the holiday giving season and inspire people to collaborate in improving their local communities and to give back in impactful ways to the charities and causes they support.
#GivingTuesday demonstrates how every act of generosity counts, and that they mean even more when we give together. Founded in 2012 by the 92nd Street Y – a community and cultural center in New York City − #GivingTuesday inspired millions of people to give back and support the causes they believe in. Over $300 million was raised online to benefit a tremendously broad range of organizations, and much more was given in volunteer hours, donations of food and clothing, and acts of kindness.
Those who are interested in joining OPA’s #GivingTuesday initiative should visit http://ohpsych.org/page/Foundation.
For more details about the #GivingTuesday movement, visit the #GivingTuesday website (www.givingtuesday.org), Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GivingTuesday) or follow @GivingTues and the #GivingTuesday hashtag on social media.
About Ohio Psychological Association
The Ohio Psychological Association, in Columbus, Ohio, is membership organization of approximately 1,500 Ohio psychologists. Its mission is to advance psychology as a science, as a profession and as a means of promoting human welfare. For more information or for a psychologist referral, visit www.ohpsych.org.
Founded by the team in the Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact at 92nd Street Y http://www.92Y.org, #GivingTuesday is a global giving movement that has been built by individuals, families, organizations, businesses and communitiies in all 50 states and in countries around the world. #GivingTuesday harnesses the collective power of a unique blend of partners to transform how people think about, talk about, and participate in the giving season. It inspires people to take collective action to improve their communities, give back in better, smarter ways to the charities and causes they believe in, and help create a better world.