opa legislative day October 7, 2020
Wednesday, October 7, 2020
Riffe Center | Ohio Statehouse Museum Gallery
12:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Registration will open in July 2020.
OPA’s annual Legislative Day trains psychologists and graduate students about advocacy and forging relationships with legislators. Held in downtown Columbus, participants hear from guest speakers discussing public policy and psychology, attend legislative committee meetings in the historic Ohio Statehouse, and meet state senators and state representatives.
Here's what last year's event included…
- The Season… This annual event has been moved from the spring to the fall to increase the impact our advocacy efforts have on the current session.
- Time of Day… We’ve moved back the start time of this event to 12:30 to make attending this event easier for those who don’t live in central Ohio.
- Venue… This year’s event begins at the Riffe Center and concludes at the Statehouse’s Museum Gallery. This will make meeting with your Representatives much easier as their offices are housed in the Riffe Center. Senate offices are located in the Statehouse which is where our event closes.
- Pre-function Webinars… Prior to the event, OPA will host the following two free webinars for Legislative Day attendees:
- Legislative Advocacy 101: How to Talk to Your Legislators & Aides - This is a great opportunity for students and/or psychologists who are less experienced with advocacy efforts.
- Review of the Legislation & Talking Points - This is a webinar that all attendees should attend. Each year, we single out several key issues to focus on during Legislative Day. During this webinar, you will receive detailed information about each issue as well as talking points to use during your face-to-face meetings with legislators.
- CE Credit… Dr. Amber Hewitt kicks off Legislative Day by presenting “Integrating Advocacy and Social Justice into Your Professional Identity,” a 2CE workshop.
- One-to-one meetings with your legislators… Time for these vital meetings has been included in the schedule. Nervous about talking to legislators…. don’t worry! We can pair you up with an experienced member in your district for a shared meeting.
- Early Evening Reception with Legislators… Legislative Day will conclude with an early evening reception sponsored by OPA’s Diversity Committee from 5 – 7 p.m. in the Statehouse Museum Gallery. Legislators and their aides will be in attendance for this social event.
Questions? Please contact OPA at 614.224.0034.