The Ohio Psychological Association (OPA) is committed to supporting psychologists throughout their career span, educating the public about psychology and the benefits of access to quality mental health care, and nurturing the future of psychology by providing opportunities and resources for students pursing a career in psychology.
We recognize the commitment students make to the long process of becoming a psychologist and we are here to support you. OPA welcomes and encourages student involvement in committees. We especially encourage student involvement in legislative advocacy, like our annual Legislative Day and in leadership development opportunities, such as our Leadership Development Academy.
Here are a few examples of how OPA supports students:
- Progressing on development of an internship consortium to create more internships for Ohio graduate students.
- Scholarships from the Foundation for Psychology in Ohio recognize and support quality research.
- Supporting legislation that impacts student debt issues.
- EPPP study group to prep for the exam.
- Programs that address key financial issues like contract negotiation, debt repayment options and financial management.
- Awarding prizes to students at the annual Ohio Science Fair.
The Ohio Psychological Association of Graduate Students (OPAGS) provides support with campus reps on all campuses to facilitate communication and exchange of information and ideas. The executive council represents students on the OPA Board and committees. OPAGS conducts an annual workshop covering topics requested by members.
Our student listserv is a great tool for keeping up with your student colleagues from around Ohio. Students use it to ask questions and to communicate their concerns. You can also stay connected with OPA and OPAGS through LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
In this section of the OPA website, students can expect to find information on the following topics: